Sunday 26 April 2009

Our Anthem

As most would know, yesterday was ANZAC day.

Peter, Mayana and I traipsed across the road to our ANZAC park at 7am for the service that we go to each year. It's a lovely service. We both feel it's very important to attend an ANZAC service each year, I have relatives that served in wars, and have an uncle that is still currently serving as a peace keeper. Even though Mayana obviously doesn't understand what we were doing or why, we both felt that it was really important to take Mayana to a service, and instill the importance of remembering from the very beginning. I hope that Mayana will never miss a service either!

Something struck me while we were singing the National Anthem. I was suddenly saddened by the fact that we only ever seem to sing the first verse of our lovely anthem, when to me, the second verse epitomises what Australia really is about, and the third verse is... well.. wonderful! I'd be willing to bet though that half of Australia doesn't even know that there is more than one verse! So I will share them with you (from the version printed in an Australian songbook I own):

Australian's all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil
Our home is girt by see
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair

Beneath our radient southern cross
We'll toil with heart and hand
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned by all the lands
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair

(and my favourite verse:)
With Christ our head and cornerstone
We'll build our nation's might
Whose way and truth and light alone
Will guide our path aright
Our lives a sacrifice of love
Reflects the Master's care
With faces turned to heaven above
Advance Australia fair
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

Isn't it fantastic!? Don't you wish all three were used...

PS: Check out the lyrics to New Zealand's national anthem! More a prayer than an anthem- awesome!

2 comments:

  1. I know a lot of schools in Victoria sing the second verse. I've never seen that third verse - last time I searched for more verses I found 3 verses on how wonderful England is. And while this third verse may suit your beliefs, it's no longer relevant to a large proportion of the population...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the verses too. AND I love NZs anthem too. I always sing along. Traitor that I am LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com