Sunday 9 August 2009

bookworm

BlogThis Challenge 11 | What’s on your bedside table…

Fiction?
Non Fiction?
Romance?
DIY?
Recipe Book?
Fantasy?
What are you reading at the moment? What book can you not put down or just can't finish? Are you drawn to certain authors, genres or just what's in the bargain bin? Do you get books from a book exchange, library or are you beating the doors down at Dymocks on release day?
Write all about the last book you read or the one you're reading/struggling to read!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I am a real bookworm. I always have at least two books on the go, sometimes more. I read any chance I get. I mostly read fiction, with a sprinkling of non-fiction, a smattering of uni textbooks, and lately a whole stack of children’s literature thrown in for good measure. I LOVE to read.

At the moment, I’m re-reading some Harry Potter books. I went to see the 6th movie a few weeks ago, and realised that I was a bit foggy on what happened in the book… it’s been about 2 years since I read it, with around 180 books read in-between, so it’s understandable really. So I’m just finishing reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (I have about a chapter left), and after that I’ll be on to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. After that, I’ll probably hit the library again, or attack my box of corny Christian romance novels my dad got me for Easter.

So yes, I read a lot of books. I love them. I love that you can pop into another world so easily… go on such wonderful adventures.

Some books are like old friends. My prime example of this would have to be the Anne of Green Gables series. I’ve read this series more times than I can remember… probably averaging once a year since I was about 8. I LOVE them. They are my comfort books, I love everything about them, and I never tire of the stories. They make me so happy, and it really is like visiting old friends when I find myself lost in those books.

Over the last month or so I’ve been revisiting my childhood… re-reading almost the entire series of Baby Sitters Club books! Oh the memories… hehe.

I’m not so much into sci-fi, or mystery/thriller type books (aside from some Jodi Picoult every now and then). I prefer a nice classic, the occasional biography, some chick-lit or christian romance books. Maeve Binchy, Karen Kingsbury, Jane Austen, Janette Oake & Fanny Flagg are some of my favourites authors.

I have books coming out of my ears. Every spare space in our study has books.. there are books in my lounge room, books in my bedroom and our daughter’s bedroom… books in boxes. They’re something I can’t ever bring myself to get rid of, especially since I read and re-read books time and again. It would just be wrong to give them away!

I LOVE the local library… I usually borrow about 15 at a time, and sometimes put extras on my husband’s card. And usually I get through them all before they’re due back. If I come across I book that I love, I’ll buy it to add to my collection. Peter marvels at how quickly I get through a book, but I love that I have inspired him to take an interest in reading.

A love of books is also something I plan to instill in my daughter (and any other future children). We’re well on our way there. Mayana loves to cuddle up with Mama and a couple of books…

*sigh*…. there’s nothing better than a lazy afternoon curled up on the couch reading a favourite book. Or three…

Don’t forget to head over to blogthis and check out what everyone else is reading…

{image from flickr}

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about books being like old friends! I feel the same about mine. They are the ones I just can't part with no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The babysitters club! I haven't read them in absolute years - I loved them!! I had the entire collection at the time, wonder where they are now? Time for a reunion I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books too. I used to read all the time but sadly the joys of having 7 children to cater for has eased that habit off for me. I still read bedtime stories to the younger guys and read Harry Potter to the older guys. They still enjoy bedtime stories even though they are 12 and 14. I don't know what we will move on to once we finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows lol. Will have to start researching something else now I think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoey! Can you please email me kathryn@tikiboo.com.au with your address so I can mail you your book voucher for the winning post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com