Wednesday 21 October 2009

I just finished reading…

I love Fannie Flagg. I am yet to read a book of hers that I don’t thoroughly enjoy.

‘Welcome to the World, Baby Girl’ revisits some old friends, in the town of Elmwood Springs. Friends from previous books, “Standing in the Rainbow”, and “Can’t Wait to Get to Heaven”. Both fantastic books by the way.

This book revolves mainly around “Baby Girl”, otherwise known as Dena Nordstrom, talented TV anchorwoman. It is mainly set in the 1970’s, but flicks back to the past every now and again to fill in the gaps in the story. I love how Fannie Flagg does that.

Dena is a success-driven career woman, who is out to prove that she doesn’t need anyone. But her ever-faithful relatives in Elmwood Springs are going to be there for her whether she likes it or not.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding Dena’s mother and her past, and throughout the book it all comes back to haunt her.

It’s really hard to review this book without giving away too much of the ending. It hums along at a gentle pace with a few very surprising twists and turns. I loved it.

I always love Flagg’s characters, and I love her giving me the chance to go back and visit old friends. It makes me wish Elmwood Springs was a real place so I could pop by and say, “hi” to everyone!

I would recommend this book, especially if you have read the other two – through it is not necessary for you to read them to have this one make sense!

Speaking of visiting old friends, at the moment I’ve visiting one of my best, Anne Shirley. I’m reading “Anne of the Island”, which is one my favourites of the Anne of Green Gables series. Actually, my favourites change as I grow older and start to go through the things she does in each book. But I do particularly love this one. So stay tuned… :0)

Zoey x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com