Sunday 31 January 2010

homestead memories

I’ve been a slack blogger. And I do apologise. Sometimes life gets a bit crazy. And I get a bit too obsessed with crocheting and other crafting. One day I’ll show you photos of all the goodies I’m learning to make. I think you’ll be impressed.

But anyway. I wanted to share with you some photos from Australia Day.

Traditionally, our family goes out to Tin Can Bay for Australia Day. This year, we decided on something different – a little closer to home and a little less driving. We tripped out to the Kenilworth Homestead. It’s a pretty nostalgic place for us. I spent a part of my childhood years out there.. I even started school out there!  My dad worked there.. and we lived there. He helped to run school camps out there.. and chances are if you were on a camp out there in the early 90’s, my dad cooked for you, took you on a hay-ride through piles of cow poo, taught you to bush-dance… heck, he may have even put on a costume and pretended to be a bushranger for you! And if you’ve been out there anytime since then, and had a swim in the river, chances are you’ve had a go on the awesome waterslide that he designed and built! We haven’t been there for yonks, and I couldn’t believe the barrage of memories that flooded back poking around out there.

S7306102 S7306087Isn’t it pretty???

The thing that surprised me most was my old school. I SWEAR it has SHRUNK! Big time. It’s not a school anymore, it’s a storage shed. When I went there, there were twenty or less students at any one time, we wore pioneer period-inspired uniforms, and ranged from preschool to year 12. We even had a 20-odd year old mature-aged student! We all sat in one big schoolroom, and worked independently from ACE homeschool books. It’s no wonder I once got detention for pulling apart an eraser, and writing my name under the desk while I was bored. I was only four years old for goodness sake! I did learn to read there though, and was capable of independently reading Enid Blighton chapter books before I was five. 

But anyway….. how’s this: Then & Now:

 S7306123

(I’m second from the front)

S7306092

I told you it had shrunk!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, what a great step back in time that must have been for you. It sounds like a unique school and what great memories you must have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! I had no idea you were from there Zoey!!

    School has definitely shrunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must live not far from me!
    My primary school shrunk too. Funny how they do that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com