Tuesday 23 March 2010

I just finished reading…

Teacher Man by Frank McCourt.

I’m so undecided about this one. I definitely didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it.

What really ticked me off was the face that he uses no speech marks. Ever. And he has lots of speaking in it. I couldn’t get used to it until about chapter four, but even that it gave me huge moments of annoyance. It made it so very confusing at times.

It’s full of sometimes amusing anecdotes of experiences Mr McCourt had in his teaching life. Some made me giggle, some were sad, and some I didn’t understand why they were in the book.

It was quite bitsy, and a little hard to follow at times.

I haven’t read any of Frank McCourt’s other books, so wasn’t at all familiar with his writing style.

I did enjoy reading about his teaching style, they way he learned through teaching, and there was an element of inspiration in there for me.

I guess I just couldn’t get past the style it was written in. I wanted to go through with a red pen and add speech marks and more punctuation and paragraphs!

It is worth a read though, so I hope I haven’t turned you off it!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Zoey, I haven't read this book for ages...I might have to dig through some boxes and try to find it. If I were you I'd definately read Angela's Ashes (the one before this one) and it gives you a bit more understanding of the boy before the man. He had a pretty bleak life on the whole though...Poor Frank :(
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com