Monday 28 May 2012

Crochet Mojo

You know me.. I love making stuff. Just like Mayana. I like to sew, paint, scrapbook… I’ll have a go at pretty much anything. At the moment though, my craft of choice is crochet.

I’ve been at it for a few years now. My Nana attempted to teach me when I was about 12, but gave up on me because I hold the crochet hook “wrong” and she couldn’t get her head around it. (She did, however teach me many other skills, like how to use a sewing machine.. so I’ll forgive her). Funnily enough it was my husband who taught me the basics. He has made exactly one crocheted thing.. in fact, he’s still making it – an ongoing granny square blanket that he picks up and adds a few rounds to most winters. Anyway, he taught me the basic stitches, and once I had the hang of those I went back to my Nana for some clarification on more complicated stuff. I also used to watch a few YouTube video tutorials when I got really stuck. The internet is a very hand place.

Suffice it to say, I now consider myself a fairly seasoned crocheter (is that a word?), and I love finding new patterns and challenging myself. I especially love making stuff for my kids. Of course, for the last few years I have only had a girl, and as such have mainly made girl stuff, and I’m enjoying stretching my creativity to make some more manly bits and pieces.

Recently I’ve been making hats.. mostly for Reuben, and one for Mayana because she was getting jealous! I’m also working on a blanket for Reuben. The thing with blankets though is they get very monotonous, so it’s good to be able to break it up with smaller projects.

Here is some of what I’ve been up to lately…

IMG_0384 IMG_0488
IMG_0634 IMG_0566
IMG_0584 IMG_0644
IMG_0688 IMG_0925
IMG_0876 IMG_0880
IMG_0958 IMG_0968
IMG_0962 IMG_0966

That last pattern is my new favourite. It’s sooo effective and I just love it. The pattern can be found here, or let me know if you’d be interested in me making one! I’m seriously thinking about getting things kicked off again with selling my handmade goodies.

I’ve also got my eye on these patterns for inspiration…. (all from Etsy – click pics for links)

Crochet pattern lovely cuddly owl by ATERGcrochet Crocodile Stitch Booties (Baby Sizes) - Crochet Pattern PDF - Permission to Sell Finished Items
Crochet Pattern Hat , Newborn Baby to Adult,  Boy and Girl, Pdf pattern - Beehive Beanie Crochet Pattern. Newborn Ruffly Diaper Cover and Hat. Photo Prop. Crocodile Stitch. PDF
Booties Crochet Pattern   for TODDLER GOSHALOSH BOOTS Baby Crochet Pattern Cowboy Hat  for BOOT SCOOT'N Cowboy Hat

I’ve also got a small collection of crochet books that belonged to my great grandmother, and I’m planning on trying my hand at some finer doily work too.

Aaaah the scope is endless!!! The only problem is trying to decide what to do next!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Would love a copy of the cowboy hat but can't seem to find it would you share

      Delete
  2. As you know, I'm new to the crochet world :)
    What weight yarn do you use? Hook size? And where do you buy yarn? I have learnt on 10-12 ply, then tried the (easy to buy everywhere) 8 ply and am retarded at it!!! God knows how I would go on something finer???!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com