Friday 26 April 2013

Super Delicious Sugar Free Breakfast {A Recipe}

This recipe is sugar free, gluten free and dairy free and completely delicious. It’s my take on one that Talia shared on her blog aaaages ago… This quantity was enough to feed my family of four (2 big people + 2 little people)

Apple & Cinnamon Coconut Breakfast Risotto

IMG_6711

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup arborio rice
  • water
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • cinnamon
  • 1 apple
  • 1tspn rice malt syrup

Method

Cook your arborio rice over a medium heat, adding a little water at a time and stirring until it absorbed each time. You’ve made risotto before right? You know the drill. I think I used about 3/4 cup of water just to get things going.

Then, I switched over to adding the coconut milk. I found because it’s significantly thicker than water, it takes a little longer to absorb – in fact it doesn’t really absorb completely -  and goes a little gluggy. Don’t worry though, it ends up a beautiful creamy custardy consistency.. just completely delicious.
Keep on going with the coconut milk until you’ve used it all. If you think it’s too gluggy, add some more water.

Sprinkle in some cinnamon. I probably used about a teaspoon, just do it to your taste. Grate your apple, and add that to the dish. When it’s grated it cooks quickly in the hot risotto, and just adds some sweetness and beautiful flavour.

Swirl through your teaspoon of rice malt syrup. If you eat honey, then you could use that instead.

Ta-daaa!!That’s it! Easy isn’t it? It is seriously so delicious. A perfect porridge alternative for gluten free people. The coconut milk helps to make it incredibly filling – I wasn’t hungry till lunch time after the bowl I had. It was a big hit in our house. Well, Reuben didn’t love it but he’s a creature of habit and he wanted his wheetbix dammit! Mayana on the hand thought that ‘coconut rice’ (her favourite thai food ever) for breakfast was the best thing she’d ever heard of and practically inhaled it, which is saying something when I consider the number of eat-your-flipping-breakfast fights we’ve had lately!

This was so yummy, I look forward to it becoming a regular as the year creeps into winter, and honestly I would quite happily eat it for dessert too.

Give it a go!!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, yum, yum! If only I could find coconut milk here, I would love to having this for breakfast in Italy!

    Alas, I will have to wait till I get home. Wouldn't it be lovely if you grilled some apple slices in butter and layed them on the top as well!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com